About the University of Pune
The University of Pune (formerly known as University of Poona) was established under the Poona University Act, passed by the Bombay Legislature on February 10, 1948. In the same year, Dr. M. R. Jayakar assumed office as the first Vice Chancellor of the University.
Shri B.G.Kher, Chief Minister and Education Minister, Govt. of Bombay, took keen interest in setting apart a beautiful campus for the University. As a result of his efforts, a campus extending over 411 acres was allocated to the University in early 1950.
Initially the University had a jurisdiction extending over 12 districts of Western Maharashtra. However, with the establishment of the Shivaji University, Kolhapur, in 1964, the jurisdiction of the University was restricted to 5 districts, viz. Pune, Ahmednagar, Nasik, Dhule and Jalgaon. Out of these, two districts viz. Dhule and Jalgaon were later attached to the North Maharashtra University established in August 1990.
During the year 1949, there were only 18 colleges affiliated to the University, with an enrollment of over 8000 students. Thereafter, the number of colleges increased, and in 1994-95, the University had 41 post-graduate departments, 209 affiliated colleges and 118 recognized research institutions, with an enrollment of 1,70,000 students for both the under-graduate and post-graduate courses in different faculties. The research institutions recognized by the University include institutions of national importance such as the National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), MACS, CWPRS, NIV, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Deccan College among others.
Since its inception, the
progress of the University of Pune has been inextricably linked with the
efforts of an illustrious list of Vice-Chancellors.
| Contact Us
Site Developed by Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Ltd